Volunteer interpreters accompany agency clients who are uncomfortable with their level of English on appointments, at different times of the day at Grande Prairie Centre for Newcomers (GPCN) and/or around the city. Setting for interpretation services include general conversations/information for non-specialist services. Time commitment is one-year minimum, Monday-Friday on an on-call basis during mornings and afternoons.
- Must adhere to a strict confidentiality policy
- Provide accurate interpretation to clients while acting in a professional manner
- Sensitivity towards people from diverse culture, socio-economic, and education background
- Report back to Settlement Practitioner on the outcome of the appointment
Skills & Qualifications:
- Must be 18 years of age and up
- Advanced English and proficiency in the language of interpretation
- Excellent communication, active listening, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Understanding of different cultures
- Experience with immigrants dealing with language barriers is an asset
- Understanding of boundaries and confidentiality
- Satisfactory criminal background check
Job Location: Various locations – GPCN Office (Suite 520, 10014 99 Street (5th floor Nordic Court Building)), Around Grande Prairie City, or Virtually (by phone or zoom).
To apply please contact Marcia at email@example.com or 780-538-4452
You will be given a short orientation on interpreter code of conduct prior to first appointment.